Plastics with photocatalytically active surfaces
It is planned to make familiar photocatalytic effects, such as self-cleaning and antimicrobial effects, available on plastic surfaces. Conventional coating methods are not suitable for plastic surfaces due to the high processing temperatures.
Also, plastic surfaces must be protected against the oxidative effect of the photocatalysts.
In addition, a wide range of application-specific requirements must be fulfilled by the surface:
- durability / long-term stability
- adhesion strength
- easy application of the coating
In order to meet these requirements, the following strategies are being pursued:
- embedding of photocatalyst particles in curing layers
- use of atmospheric pressure plasma polymerization processes
- coating by using the pulse magnetron sputtering method